Friday, May 11, 2007

Boston Legal on Torture

This is a great show for one reason: Alan Shore's closing arguments. Almost every week, the main character, lawyer Alan Shore delivers a harsh, glaring critique of the state of our nation in defense of his clients. From issues involving the death penalty, terrorism, human rights violations, religion, and so on. This week was Guantanamo and torture. I saw the show a couple nights ago and I've been looking all over for the clip to post. Leave it to CrooksandLiars to do the work for me:

Boston Legal often tackles the incompetence of this administration and whole bunch of issues that are smart and funny…"Guantanamo by the Bay": Alan Shore sues the United States on behalf of a client who was tortured for two years at a detention camp.

Shore: Your honor, I believe a lawyer should put his country before his client and for that reason I'm going to take the unusual step of asking you to dismiss my client's lawsuit.

Lawyer: Objection, it's a trick…

Shore: I agree, nobody knows how to fight this war, we should never the less defer to the Executive branch—who have indeed demonstrated a particular expertise. I for one just can't wait to see what they do next… My client is a whiner…a little duck tape, sexually violated,…He wants the government to show evidence. We're in a war! We need to make sacrifices!… and we should start with the little things like human rights... calling the prisoners enemy combatants instead of prisoners so we can get around the Geneva Convention and torture them? Brilliant! Basing the camp in Cuba so the Constitution won't get in our way? Brilliant!

Watch it HERE

And watch Boston Legal on Wednesday nights at 10/9C on ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home