Monday, May 29, 2006

Conversations With God: Living In Fear


For the last two years or so I've been reading a series of books by Neale Donald Walsch called Conversations With God. This website is suppose to be partially about spirituality so I thought I would add a portion of a part of the first book in the series. They've completely changed the way I think and live my life and I try to share everything I've learned from them with everyone I know. I used to care what people thought about my interest in this kind of stuff; call me crazy, call me a hippy, but just read it and let the message speak for itself.

The book is in the form of a conversation so there are questions, and lots of answers. I'll post a new passage every now and then.

Neale: You make it sound so easy, and yet in the moment of decision fear wins more often than not. Why is that?

You have been taught to live in fear. You have been told about the survival of the fittest and the victory of the strongest and the success of the cleverest. Precious little is said about the glory of the most loving. And so you strive to be the fittest, the strongest, the cleverest - in one way or another - and if you see yourself as something less than this in any situation, you fear loss, for you have been told that to be less is to lose.
And so of course you choose the action fear sponsors, for that is what you have been taught. Yet I teach you this: when you choose the action love sponsors, then will you do more than survive, then will you do more than win, then will you do more than succeed. Only then will you experience the full glory of who you really are, and who you can be.
To do this you must turn aside the teachings of your well-meaning, but misinformed, worldly tutors, and hear the teachings of those whose wisdom comes from another source.
There are many such teachers among you, as there have always been, for I will not leave you without those who would show you, teach you, guide you, and remind you of these basic truths. Yet the greatest reminder is not anyone outside you, but the voice within you. This is the first tool that I use, because it is the most accessible.
The voice within is the loudest voice with which I speak, because it is the closest to you. It is the voice which tells you whether everything else is true or false, right or wrong, good or bad as you have defined it. It is the radar that sets the course, steers the ship, guides the journey if you but let it.
It is the voice which tells you right now whether the very words you are reading are words of love or words of fear. By this measure you can determine whether they are words to heed or words to ignore.
Neale: You said that when I always choose the action that love sponsors, then I will experience the full glory of who I am and who I can be. Will you expand on this?
There is only one purpose for all of life, and that is for you and all that live to experience their fullest glory.
Everything else you say, think, or do is attendant to that function. There is nothing else for your soul to do, and nothing else your soul wants to do.
The wonder of this purpose is that it is never-ending. And ending is a limitation, and God's purpose is without such a boundary. Should there come a moment in which you experience yourself in your fullest glory, you will in that instant imagine an ever greater glory to fulfill. The more you are, the more you can become, and the more you can become, the more you can yet be.
The deepest secret is that life is not a process of discovery, but a process of creation.
You are not discovering yourself, but creating yourself anew. Seek, therefore, not to find out Who You Are, seek to determine Who You Want to Be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home