Sunday, December 17, 2006

I Don't Get Paid For This

Here's Nora Ephron talking about being named Time's Person of the Year (Time's Person of the Year is "you"). She made a good point about blogging that I thought I'd post.

-----
The Person of the Year is me. Of course the person of the year is also you. Actually the person of the year is "You," as in YouTube and MySpace, as in the World Wide Web - "for seizing the reins of the global media, for founding and framing the new digital democracy, for working for nothing and beating the pros at their own game." Don't you love it? I especially love the part about "working for nothing," I especially love the condescension in that phrase, the dead giveaway about how Time Magazine really feels about the giant collective unwashed, unpaid You Out Here that is nonetheless making life a misery for Them In There -- for the Old Media scrambling to figure out What It Means for things like the future of print, the paper business, network television, privacy, and their jobs, for which (it goes without saying) they are paid.
-----

I do love it. I just don't have the time for it. Finals are almost over, and I've had a lot of ideas floating around in my head for a month that need to be released. I'll be blogging my ars off over christmas break. Exciting, I know. I don't get paid for this stuff, it's just therapeutic... even better than rectangular pieces of green paper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home